Next Generation Group
The Livestock Auctioneers Association’s (LAA) Next Generation Group was established to represent young Auctioneers and Fieldsmen working in livestock markets in England and Wales.
The group aims to:
- Create a platform for Young Auctioneers to speak freely, voice views and concerns on industry matters around their peers; forming a direct link to the national LAA council
- Develop a social and professional network
- Exchange knowledge and continue professional development
- Engage the next generation of livestock farmers, connecting working practise and the value of the livestock market
- Be ambassadors for the industry, driving the future of livestock markets forward
The group meets 2/3 times each year, both online and in-person across England and Wales, and is for any young Auctioneer or Fieldsman, up to the age of 40.
The group is chaired by Russell Steer (Kivells), and Vice Chair, Greg Christopher (Hereford Market Auctioneers).
In 2021, the group relaunched by hosting their first virtual meeting, 'Engaging the Next Generation of Farmers,' to explore the potential of social media and technology to effectively engage the next generation of farmer, connecting working practise on the farm with the value of the live auction ring. The group was joined by special guest speaker, dairy farmer, social media influencer & Director of Pastures Green Communications, Amy Eggleston. This was followed by the group's Annual General Meeting (in-person) on Thursday 5th August 2021 in Thame, to conicide with the Thame Sheep Fair and included a butchery demonstration by Darts Farm Master Butchers championing British red meat.
In February 2022, the Next Generation Group held a successful and well attended two-day meeting in Ruthin, North Wales which included an informative tour and presentation of the Genus ABS bull stud in Ruthin, gaining an invaluable insight into the future of AI and beef and dairy genetics. You can read all about it here.
The next event and Next Generation Group AGM will take place on Thursday 4th August 2022 in Thame, coinciding with Thame Sheep Fair.
If you would like to be a part of the group, or would like further information on upcoming events, please contact:
Zanna Dennis, LAA Development Officer
E: [email protected]
T: 07930 115838