History of the LAA
The association has a long pedigree. It has operated under its present style and title since September 1992, at which date it was born out of the Livestock Auctioneers Market Committee for England and Wales and its forerunner the Livestock Auctioneers’ Pool Committee. That body was promulgated by government in 1939 at the outset of the Second World War for the purpose of regulating and apportioning to livestock markets, the central fund which was made available to the markets as compensation for the closure of all fat stock auction sales, when rationing and the central purchasing of slaughter stock was introduced on 11 March 1940; a task which continued for 14 years until food rationing ended and free marketing recommenced in 1954.
The LAA continues to actively promote the interests of the livestock auctioneering business with other trade organisations and with all departments of government, as occasion demands. Representing the industry at governmental and parliamentary levels in London, Cardiff and Brussels, the LAA’s role has evolved considerably over the years. Today the LAA is instrumental in shaping government strategies and the future of the industry.
In 2017, the LAA celebrated 200 years of livestock auction marts. You can read more about the history of livestock auction marts, evolving from humble beginnings to the multi-million pound industry it has become today, in the PDF below, 'Livestock Auction Marts: 200 years of innovation and transparency.'